Elephant Thoughts is recruiting instructors for our Indigenous School Programs. Short and long-term contracts available, beginning February, 2022. Start dates are flexible and students are encouraged to apply!
● A believer that education is an important tool to effect positive change in our world?
● Passionate about issues facing Indigenous youth?
● A certified teacher, post-secondary graduate or student with a background in education and/or science and/or math?
● Able to communicate clearly and effectively in:
○ English (required)
○ French (strong asset)
● Willing to travel to some of the most beautiful, yet remote areas of the country?
● Excited by the idea of challenging yourself every single day?
● Creatively minded, a problem-solving guru with an ability to adapt to ever-changing situations?
If this sounds like you, please continue reading.
Location: travelling to and between remote communities.
● Travel and accommodations provided while working in remote communities.
● Accommodations provided during the training period.
● Meal stipends provided while working in remote communities and during travel.
SUMMARY OF OVERALL ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Teach science and/or math, in English and/or French, as required.
- Assist in the preparation of teaching/tutoring programs to deliver
- Report weekly to head office in the format specified.
- Promote the mission and initiatives of Elephant Thoughts.
|1. Deliver a variety of hands-on science and technology workshops to First Nations, Inuit and Métis communities across Canada, both in classrooms and virtually.||2. Assist in the preparation of workshop materials and lessons throughout the duration of the contract.|
|3. Adapt programs to suit a variety of grade levels from Kindergarten Grade 12.||4. Attend ET head office to prepare equipment and make inventory using provided packing lists to deliver specified programs|
|5. Report any lost, damaged or transferred equipment||6. Take final inventory of program equipment against packing lists to ensure the return of all equipment to ET|
|7. Attend ET head office for training||8. Give training to new teachers of programs on site or at ET head office as may be required|
|9. Submit weekly reports in required format to ET head office.||10. Deliver programs to the highest teaching standards and in accordance with the ET Teachers Code of Conduct. Report any quality deficiencies|
|11. Use your creativity to devise ways of increasing the quality of our program.||12. Ensure all participants in ET programs are aware of the ET brand, mission and initiatives. Distribute ET literature and marketing material as appropriate|
Elephant Thoughts has a smoke-free, perfume-free, drug-free work, living and travel environment.
REPORTS TO: Director of Education
KNOWLEDGE AND/OR SKILLS ESSENTIAL
- Teaching/tutoring experience, preferably in Math and/or Science
- Excellent oral and written English and/or French and/or Indigenous language(s)
- Good presentation skills.
- Intermediate computer ability with Microsoft Office Suite, Google Workspace, social media platforms, virtual teaching through various tools (Microsoft Teams, Google Meets, Zoom)
- Advanced Internet research skills, email skills.
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs. boxes on wheels
- Ability to engage and motivate others.
- Flexible, energetic, team player,
- Punctual, reliable, open to new experiences, continuous learner.
- Experience in a multilingual, multicultural environment.
- Cultural sensitivity
- Problem solver, takes initiative, positive outlook.
- Valid Canadian driver’s license and ability to drive long distances on remote roads
- Current police clearance report with attention to vulnerable sector screening
- Available to travel to and between Northern Communities
- Adaptable to living conditions in remote communities
- Be in good health
- KNOWLEDGE AND/OR SKILLS DESIRABLE:
- Teaching certificate
- Experience teaching children and youth of various backgrounds
- Experience teaching children and youth with special needs
MINIMUM PERFORMANCE STANDARDS
- Ability to write reports.
HOW TO APPLY:
email Resume and CV to [email protected]